Saturday, December 26, 2009

Orvis chest pack

I mentioned before that it was a tough decision on which chest pack to get for fly fishing.  Well, I found a great deal on the Orvis Safe Passage chest pack, so I picked that up.  Several weeks ago I tried it out for the first time, fishing all day on the Blue River in Oklahoma.

Here's what I stuffed into it.  In one front pocket, I stuffed two Irideus Kenai fly boxes, one with dry flies and the other with nymphs.  In the other front pocket was a C&F box with wooly buggers and an Orvis streamer box.  Then I had attached a hemostat, small scissors (I like this better than line nippers) and a Ty-Rite Jr (which is the best invention ever!).  In the backpack I had a water bottle and small thermos of chili.

How did it work?  Well, having 4 big boxes stuffed in the front was a bit much.  The packs stuck out a little too much and at times got in the way when stripping in line.  It didn't affect casting, though.  So I realized I need smaller boxes, and put the bigger ones in the backpack.

Overall, I really like the pack.  It's comfortable and stays balanced on my shoulders.  I just need to get smarter about filling it, and not try stuffing so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment